Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 2 - Still can't believe I'm actually here

Percent complete: 1%

We got here safe yesterday after some mechanical problems on both flights that delayed our takeoffs.  Luckily our connection had a two hour layover, so it didn't end up being a problem.  From the airport we went to the Oficina del Grupo de Kansas (the name of our group) and met our host families!  I have a dad, Gerardo, and mom, Felicia, three sisters, Milena, Melisa, and Monica (Mile, Meli y Moni), and a brother, Gustavo (Tavo).  Monica is 17, Gustavo is 22, and the other three are older, not sure exactly.  There is one more sibling that lives in Spain, Gerardo, but I am not sure if I will meet him or not.  Only Melena, Monica and Gustavo live in the house, as Melisa lives in the Dominican but is here for Christmas and will leave on Thursday.  They are all wonderful and have been very helpful with my Spanish speaking which is a little rusty after Christmas break... I'm getting along fine though.  They live in a small pueblo called Curridabat (cur-E-dah-baht, soft "t") very close to San Jose.  There are lots of suburbs around San Jose itself, and in between San Jose and Curridabat is San Pedro, which is where UCR is located.  It will be about a 10 minute bus ride which I will do with Felicia tomorrow to go to campus.  We have our placement test (for the Early Start class that I will have the whole first month) and campus tour!  After getting my stuff situated, Geraldo walked me around Curridabat.  It's a quaint little town and definitely feels like we are living in a tropical town.  Lots of colorful houses that are all connected together, crazy drivers in foreign cars and Panaderías (bakeries) on every corner.  When I get a chance, I will go take some pictures of everything.  For now, it's been kind of crazy.  The street graffiti in San Jose is pretty awesome as well.  There are big murals of marine life and abstract art that will be fun to shoot with my camera.

We had coffee around 4:00 yesterday, as is tradition in Costa Rica.  Coffee and bread with fresh marmalade made from various fruits.  It was all really good.  Last night we had a spaghetti-like dish with fresh vegetables that was delicious.  This morning was more fruit (some of the best I've ever had, especially the mango which is my favorite), with bread and spicy refried beans, and of course, coffee.  I'm liking the little traditions already.  More about these with the more I find out.

Last night there was a big firework display about a mile from our house.  It was kind of surreal watching it because it was starting to sink in that I'm actually here after so much planning.  They have had parties every day since a little before Christmas and tonight is the last one.  They do this every year for a celebration for Christmas and the New Year.  There was also a bull fight on TV that I watched that was very interesting.  Tons of locals running around trying to make the bull charge them.  A few got injured, but nothing fatal.  Looked crazy to me.

This afternoon, we had lunch (usually outside on the patio, the weather here is unbelievable) and then went to church.  It was definitely an experience, much different than the US.  The church was non-denominational so I will eventually get to the Catholic one, but this is the one my family goes to most often.  Lots of music and singing and dancing.  Then we went to a rosary/dinner at a neighbors house... these are apparently the norm around Christmas, and they are still doing them!

I decided to post this weekend because I figured there will be plenty to talk about over the next week and I would forget some details about my first two days here.  Sorry for the length and lack of pictures; hopefully in the future it will be just the opposite.. lots of pictures and not much to say!  I just had a lot to explain about my setting for the next 189 days.  Until next week, ¡chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment