Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 39 - Cartago and Santa Teresa

Word of the week: sunset -- la puesta del sol
Percent complete: 20%

Hopefully, as promised, this post will be more entertaining than the last two... I had quite the weekend and took more than 1400 pictures over the three day span (I have been sorting through them... part of the reason for the late post this week).  But first, the classes this month are going well.  We have an essay due basically every class period for our writing class (only 500 words, though), and are just reviewing formal writing skills.  I think the topics will be informative as well.  Our history class is very interesting, but it is very tough to listen to an hour and a half lecture in Spanish and be taking sufficient notes... It's super hard to listen and think and take notes all at the same time, but I guess it is just preparing us for the semester ahead!  Our culture class has been my favorite; we have covered everything from greetings to social interactions to pronunciation, and how English makes no sense when it comes to phonetics.  Probably a valid argument.  Point being, I'm staying very busy with the classes but they have been very beneficial so far!

On to last weekend.  Grupo de Kansas took a trip on Friday to Cartago, a town very close to San Jose.  We went to the Basilica de los Angeles, Jardín Botánico Lankester, and a coffee plantation complete with a natural hot springs pool with an incredible view of the mountains.  Check out the pictures:

Truly one of the prettier churches I have seen.  Maybe it was the background or scenery, or the fact that I'm in Costa Rica, but I really enjoyed it. There was a long story as to why they built it here, but the gist of it is that a doll of the Virgin Mary that a little girl had found kept returning to a rock at this spot, regardless of her intention of keeping it. She took it to a local priest to show him what was happening, and when he saw and believed, that's when they decided to build it there.





Very cool woodwork throughout.  There were a bunch of people around as well.





What would a church be without an awesome ceiling?




The tabernacle was beautiful as well.  Pretty much everything you would expect an old basilica in Costa Rica to look like.






There were a lot of people making this procession to the alter on their knees (left) while we were there.  I was curious as to the significance, but I'm sure it had something to do with resembling the journey to the cross.




And, of course, really cool stained glass windows.




Then to the garden...



They had a pretty extensive green house, complete with lots and lots of vibrant colors.





A variety of tropical plants, trees and flowers.  And some odd looking fruits or something, like these pink upside-down banana things.










Caught this little guy hanging out on some type of orchid.










Pretty neat Japanese garden as well.  There was a little house there to do mediation/yoga/whatever else you do in a Japanese garden.















At the garden with the mountains in the backdrop.


And then to the coffee plantation/hot springs....





The group of us before the plantation tour.  There are 14 in all: 8 were on the Early Start trip (including me), 5 more came from KU at the end of January, and 1 girl has been here for 7 months already.  She is doing a second semester at UCR!









That is a coffee bean, for those of you who have never seen one on the plant!









More coffee beans.  A lot more.  Waiting to be sorted (green and red).










Coffee plants in a row...









And a huge pile of coffee.


After the tour, we went for a relaxing afternoon in the hot spring.  The pool itself was obviously constructed, but the water was run straight from the mountain spring through some pipes that fed into the pool.  It was naturally extremely clear and about 100 degrees.  We also had an incredible lunch there, including the best coffee thus far.






And the view all day wasn't too bad either.








A big garden surrounded the property as well.  Just added another element of la naturaleza to the whole experience.









And it wouldn't be complete without a Wheel Staff picture...



So, busy day right?  That was just Friday.  A group of 8 of us decided to go to Santa Teresa for the weekend after Cartago.  We left at 6 am on Saturday morning, had a 2 and a half hour bus ride to a ferry, rode that across the Golfo de Nicoya, and another hour on the bus to the beach.  Santa Teresa was an incredible little town that made me feel like I was really in Costa Rica.  It was a completely surfer-driven town, and tons of Europeans/Americans/South Americans/etc had moved there and opened up different little surf shops or and whatnot.  Met some pretty awesome people as well, and heard about every English accent there is (British and Australian were pretty common).  If I get a chance in my life, I want to live in a town like Santa Teresa for a year; find a job at a little restaurant or surf shop, live at a hostel and get really good at surfing.  Everyone there was completely laid back... the epitome of a surfer lifestyle.  However, but I didn't get any pictures of the town itself.  It was basically just a long road with shops and restaurants and hostels everywhere that ran along the beach (about 200 yards away).  Everyone there owned either a four wheeler, dirt bike or dune buggy, all complete with surf board racks.  Pictures:







Our ferry.  It carried about 40 cars (there was a lower deck), 3 buses and two semi's.  Pretty big.











Crossing the gulf.  Really smooth water, great photo op.










Quality wise, I liked Manuel Antonio and Isla Tortuga more, but the waves here and the overall feel to the beach were much cooler... much more "pura vida" in Santa Teresa.  Awesome place.














I tweeted this picture to Greg Jennings, with "It's a great day to #BeGreat in Costa Rica!" (his own hashtag)






He didn't tweet back.








More of the beach.




Maybe the luckiest possible picture ever.  I wasn't planning on taking a picture of the bird, but this was on the way back across the Gulf to San Jose, and this seagull just happened to put itself dead smack in the center of the frame with it's wings perfectly positioned.  Rather be lucky than good.



Before I end this post, a few more pictures of one of the most incredible sunsets I have seen in my life at Santa Teresa.  I took over 200 pictures of it, but here are a few of my favorites:





I also made a video of our first month here, so feel free to check it out on YouTube!  It was my first attempt at iMovie...


I think that is all from this week!  We are going to another volcano and some place with some waterfalls this Friday, so be sure to check my social media next week.  Not sure what the weekend will have to offer either.  Until then,
¡Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment